Monday, March 24, 2008

For runners its 26.2 miles and 1 goal to finish

Have you ever driven from Miami to Fort Lauderdale? If so, you've gone slightly beyond the distance of a marathon -- 26.2 miles health club.

For runners, walkers and mobility-challenged athletes, it can be a daunting task, yet more than 407,000 people completed U.S. marathons in 2007, up 2.3 percent from 2006.

About 3,600 will attempt the distance during Sunday's sixth running of the ING Miami Marathon, a course that starts at AmericanAirlines Arena and winds past cruise ships, South Beach and the Art Deco District before zipping through Coconut Grove, Brickell and back to finish at Bayfront Park.

It'll be the first marathon for Carol Williams, who is running to celebrate turning 50; Allison Earnst, who has her hands full with three young children; and Karen Henderson, who is paying tribute to friends struggling with illnesses.

It's the 11th marathon for Lance Benson, who was born with no legs -- a medical mystery; and the 50th something for Jasper Bell Sr., who loves running with a group because ``we're all in this together. We have that one goal. The finish line health club. You can sense the determination.''

CAROL WILLIAMS, 50

Residence: Coral Gables

Occupation: Court reporter

Top weekly mileage: 35

Carol's story: I came to Miami 3 ? years ago from Virginia, weighing 189 pounds. I looked around Miami Beach and realized my lifestyle had to change. I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer and consulted a registered dietitian.

My trainer's wife asked me to join her in the Corporate Run 5K last May. I got to the start line and ran the whole way. I weighed about 145 then. I started running with FootWorks (footworksmiami.com) and now I weigh 125. About a month ago I did my first half-marathon in Fort Lauderdale. For my 50th birthday -- which is today -- I will run my first marathon on Sunday.

After the race: I'll fall into the arms of the people I love and cry, celebrate being 50 and thank God for all the blessings.

ALLISON EARNST, 32

Residence: Miami

Occupation: Mother of three

Top weekly mileage: About 30

Allison's story: I have been a runner for the past 10 years and have always dreamed of completing a marathon. I have three children (ages 4, 3 and 1) and despite a few minor injuries in the past six months of training, I'm ready to run. It's tough fitting in weekly training runs and weekend long runs in between bottles, bath times and bedtimes.

Being a mother is a wonderful 24-hour-a-day job. However, personal achievements and fitness goals should not be put on the back burner. I believe that we, as women and as mothers, can do it all.

After the race: I'll get some well-needed rest.

KAREN HENDERSON, 49

(not pictured)

Residence: Detroit via Miami

Occupation: Homemaker

Top weekly mileage: 35

Karen's story: I'm running to honor two friends. Liz, a fellow volunteer at Miami Children's Hospital for many years, was diagnosed with leukemia in September 2006. After a bone marrow transplant, she's cancer-free. She has displayed courage and perseverance beyond what is necessary to do a marathon. Another friend, Steve, a personal trainer, needed a knee replacement. He ended up losing his knee and he's adjusting to having his upper leg and lower leg fused.

I will be 50 in February, but everything works, and I am so proud to dedicate each and every one of my 26.2 miles to Liz and Steve.

After the race: I'm getting a 26.2 tattoo at Miami Ink.

LANCE BENSON, 34

Residence: Brickell

Occupation: Real estate broker for Grubb & Ellis

Top weekly mileage: 17

Lance's story: I did my first marathon in 2004 -- New York City -- because I had already done the Miami half-marathon and I wanted the challenge. I almost hit the pavement while speeding down the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. I chose to do the skateboard because I was already using a skateboard since I was a kid to get around the house, in the gym, in college to go to my PE classes. I have never used a wheelchair.

I had my second best time health club -- 3:11 -- in the 2007 Marathon of the Palm Beaches. My best time was 3:09 in Los Angeles. I'm now focusing more on core training and less on miles. I do cardio on the rowing machine and I've been working out with resistance bands. It paid off.

After the race: I'll eat.

JASPER BELL SR., 64

Residence: Liberty City

Occupation: Retired CHI X-ray technician and massage therapist

Top weekly mileage: About 40

Jasper's story: I did my first marathon when I was 48. I saw a 98-year-old man finish the New York City Marathon, so I said I could do it. Then my son, Jasper Bell Jr., said if I could do it, he could do it. We used to make sure we'd beat all the women. Now that's impossible.

I do yoga for an hour every day and I work out two hours a day, doing a combination of walking and running.health club I like to show people how to be flexible. I started using ski poles about five years ago. Toward the last part of the race, when you slow down, your arms do a lot of work. The ski poles help you use gravity and fall forward.

So far this year I've done Disney (Jan. 13) and Naples (Jan. 20). I've been in the Miami races every year since they started in 2003, defending the home turf. If you come from out of town, you have to deal with me and my son. We're a team.

No comments: